The View From the Divide
a Society Blog

A “divide” is the high ground that separates the Little Thompson Valley from Big Thompson Valley to the north and the St. Vrain Valley to the south. BHS President Mark French lives on the southern divide and provides his perspective of local history in his View from the Divide.

Berthoud Hose Company No. 1.

The town’s first fire-fighting team was known as Berthoud Hose Company No. 1. It was organized in May 1888 when Justice of the Peace Ed Willis presided over a meeting

Read More »

1901 Map of the Big Thompson

In 1901 the United States Department of Agriculture published a yearbook that contained a map of the “Reservoirs under the Big Thompson River and Tributaries.” Since the Little Thompson River

Read More »

Early Baseball

Baseball was the first organized sport to be played in Berthoud. In May 1883 when the town was still located at its original site on the Little Thompson river bottom,

Read More »

Vollmert Place

Earthwork is underway on the old Vollmert Place to prepare the farm for a residential subdivision. Located southeast of the intersection of Larimer County Road 17 and Spartan Avenue, this

Read More »

May Day

For decades May Day was celebrated in Berthoud’s town and country schools. Since several local country school teachers had attended the “town school” when the holiday was celebrated there in

Read More »

Benson Quarry

Alfred Benson’s rock quarry was covered by the waters of Carter Lake reservoir in the 1950s. The quarry was located on the west shore of the lake where its outline

Read More »

Lovejoy Bros. Elevator

The Lovejoy Bros. Elevator at the intersection of 3rd Street and Massachusetts Avenue in Berthoud was built in 1919. In May of that year the Berthoud Bulletin reported, “The old

Read More »

Ms. Ivy Stockwell

Ivy Stockwell was a teacher in Berthoud’s schools longer than anyone before her. She was a graduate of Berthoud High School (Class of 1912) who later taught at the Whipple

Read More »

Berthoud School

The Berthoud School building sat in the center of present-day Fickel Park from 1897 until 1963. The stone arch over the school’s east doorway was salvaged when the building was

Read More »

The Blizzard of April 1920

The Blizzard of April 1920 hit Berthoud and its northern Colorado neighbors hard. Following the storm the Berthoud Bulletin reported, “Beginning early Saturday morning and raging all of Saturday, Saturday

Read More »

Bashor & Wray Building

The Bashor & Wray Building at the southeast corner of 4th Street and Mountain Avenue in Berthoud was built in 1915. The firm of Bashor & Wray sold Ford cars,

Read More »

Forsythe’s Carousel

Before 1915 when the firm of Bashor & Wray erected a garage building for their Ford agency at the southeast corner of 4th Street and Mountain Avenue, the lots were

Read More »